July 12, 2016
TIPS | How to Create Your Own Gallery Wall
A current trend in home decor is a gallery wall displaying lots of images in one place. Whether you knew the design term or not - you've probably already seen these in your friends’ homes or online. They look like big collages. They are visually striking and really give you a chance to put your own unmistakable personality into your interior design. However, there are a lot of choices to be made, so we've put together a few tips to get you started:
- As with real estate, gallery walls thrive on “location, location, location.” Choose a wall in your home that is otherwise empty so that your design can really shine. You don't want the gallery wall competing with other elements on the wall - it will likely just end up looking messy.
- Another key is making sure your design will be visible all at once. This means hallways are not as good as larger rooms. You want to be able to stand back and see the whole collection together.
You've found the perfect spot, but now you need to fill it. Here are a few ways to get started:
- Start with one item that you love. You can go out looking for others that will compliment this piece to ensure that your design is centered on something you truly admire.
- Go with a theme. Family photos. Nature. A color scheme. An emotion. Individual components can match to give a streamlined, sophisticated look - or go for an eclectic vibe with lots of pops of color. You can break up too much monotony with strategic framing choices, or cleverly curate frames to tie together an otherwise diverse collection.
- Choosing frames. Some canvases won't need framing, but you most likely find yourself now with A LOT of images to frame and hang. Custom framing is your friend because you can get exactly what you need for your pieces as well as design assistance from people who are dedicated to making your projects look amazing. You have a lot of choices here, so it helps to play around with a few different ideas and see what works for you. A few examples are:
- Perfectly matching frames.
- Same framing profile, different colors.
- Frames of the same color with a mix of different profiles.
- … etc.
- This is a big step. If you're not sure about how to hang, ask your framer for tips - we’ll even come to your house and hang art for you! Since you're not just putting pictures in a straight line, this phase will require some planning before you punch holes all over your walls. Measure all of the pieces you've curated and cut out paper models of these. Now you can use the less permanent means of paper and tape to place and move your “artwork” around the wall until you find a design you're happy with. (If it helps, draw little doodles resembling what artwork each paper represents. This will help keep your head straight and organized - free to focus your creativity on the task at hand.)
- Once you've settled on your design, it's time to get hanging. Make sure your picture hooks are strong enough for any big pieces you might have.
Relax and Celebrate a Job Well Done.
You've accomplished something creative and great. Enjoy the new feature in your home that is wonderfully and uniquely you. Take pictures and be sure to tell us about your experience! We'd love to hear how it turned out and help you get started on your next project.